"At the beginning of 2010 I came across my diary from last year. I had a quick flick through and was hit with the realisation of exactly how much my life has changed since January ’09. My diary is littered with words like ‘Golden Globes’, ‘Baftas’, ‘Brits’ and ‘The Oscars’ – all of which my working life revolved around...

Fast forward a year and my January is barren. The pages are a wasteland of days and dates and woefully empty pages. My poor, poor moleskin must have been sobbing into its perfectly intact spine at such a pitiful sight..."

Tuesday 16 March 2010

A Ridiculous Dialogue

10th February 2010 and it’s our third wedding anniversary. Earlier in the week, I had a conversation with the Kiwi that went something like this:

KIWI: “So, what are we doing on Wednesday?”

ME: “Ummmm… Nothing?”

KIWI: “Really? We’re not doing anything Wednesday?”

ME: “Well, we might be passing the baby back and forth while she cries and we give ourselves indigestion as we scoff a bowl of pasta, then I might try and find a clean muslin to mop up her vom, we’ll argue about whose turn it is to change her nappy, then pray that she has an OK-ish bedtime and we don’t have to pick her up and settle her seven hundred and fifty thousand times…”

KIWI: “You really don’t know what Wednesday is, do you?”

[PAUSE]

ME: “Oh my gaaaaaawd! I’m sooooo sorry! I’m the worst wife ever! It’s our third wedding anniversary, of coooooouuuurse, yes… no… totally, I forgot.”

KIWI: [Laughs] “So, what do you want to do?”

ME: [SLIGHT PAUSE] “Well, that’s a bit of a ridiculous question, isn’t it?”

KIWI: “Bit harsh.”

ME: “OK, ask me again.”

KIWI: “What do you want to do for our wedding anniversary on Wednesday?”

ME: “Right, well, I though we could start off by having a few martinis at Fifth Floor Harvey Nichs, nip in for a few at the Long Bar, then we can head off to Fabric, double drop with a bottle of Jose Cuervo, throw some shapes on the dance floor, generally enta in de dance, plug it in an we begin, crowd up in de centa, dey watch (be dibidim), climb up a bus stop on our way to Maccy Ds, and then do a runner from a black cab as we roll in around 4am. Sound good?”

KIWI: “That’s just ridiculous.”

ME: “My point exactly.”


According to the doctors, on our second wedding anniversary last year, Kaila-Rose was conceived.

2 comments:

  1. One year ago, we were almost or were on the Bank Peninsula Track - fighting storms of falling pears, rain and hail plus much sun. I was also begining my final year of study - Dip of Counselling. AND today passed my final assignment!!!! Nan moved house during the year and I've book my trip to northern hemisphere for Sept/Oct

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I do remember that conversation lol.

    ReplyDelete