"At the beginning of 2010 I came across my diary from last year. I had a quick flick through and was hit with the realisation of exactly how much my life has changed since January ’09. My diary is littered with words like ‘Golden Globes’, ‘Baftas’, ‘Brits’ and ‘The Oscars’ – all of which my working life revolved around...

Fast forward a year and my January is barren. The pages are a wasteland of days and dates and woefully empty pages. My poor, poor moleskin must have been sobbing into its perfectly intact spine at such a pitiful sight..."

Tuesday 30 March 2010

GUEST POST: A Reason For Living

JO CLARE SAYS:

If someone had said to me a few years ago that I would lose the two men I loved most in the world within 8 months of each other, I’d have laughed in their faces and told them to do one. But, here I am blogging about it, because it did in fact, sadly happen.

In March 2008, my husband left me at six months pregnant after ten years together. I remember the day so clearly, even now. I was cooking cod in our kitchen that we’d just decorated, and he just came out with it… like a huge knife to my heart. I've never felt so many emotions all at once: ‘how am I going to cope’, ‘I can’t do it on my own’ ‘I don’t want to do it on my own’ even, ‘who will want me now!!’

Those following few weeks were a blur of just trying to survive, trying to eat and drink to nourish my kicking baby, feeling terribly guilty that he/she knew nothing of the despair I was feeling on the outside, and yet I was forcing myself to keep her ‘safe’.

But I did, slowly, carry on attending antenatal sessions/hospital visits on my own, and only got through all of this with an overwhelming circle of friends who cared for me, whose help I will never forget.

As the due date grew closer, I received another blow, the biggest probably if I’m honest - my dad was diagnosed with cancer. We knew the outcome wouldn’t be good from the start. We are a very close, strong, traditional family and I was a typical Daddy’s girl. I love my Dad so much - we had the same interests, (except for his train spotting!), the same bad habits. I just wish I had his brains (brother seemed to nab those) so to live with the fact that one day I will loose him... I just tried to keep from entering my mind.

July 18th came and my beautiful daughter arrived - not without difficulties. She was born not breathing and with a broken shoulder. But her spirit and strength got her through and to this day she is my sunshine and my reason for living. My dad sadly passed 5 months later. The pain of losing someone so close to your heart is a pain that only someone who has lost will know. Most of all I miss how much of a wonderful Granddad he would have made and of course I miss him as a doting dad.

So it’s been a whirlwind, and tough to say the least. But one thing that’s kept me going through the dark days is a snippet from a mine and Dad's favourite film, Castaway. At the very end of the film, Tom Hanks says: ‘You have to just keep breathing’. Such a simple line, but so true. The sun will come up every day, and night will fall, and life will go on, whether you want it to or not. You will never forget your loved ones that are not with you, but somehow as time goes on, you learn to live with it slightly better. And with a cheeky, happy, monster toddler that I have now… how could I do anything else but live life?

9 comments:

  1. It really has been a whirlwind. I'm so glad you were able to pull through it and you're looking forward to the future with your beautiful daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your father passing away as a result of cancer is tragic, but nobodies fault...

    Your husband bailing mid-term... Harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful Jo... I love you. Here's to breathing easy again. Always X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh. That's a huge amount to cope with. I went through a pregancy alone too. It's tough, but like you I have a wonderful child and I'm a mum. That's my reason for keeping going. They say things like this make you stronger. It's easy to say, but I think in some ways it's true. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm amazed by your ability to keep smiling. You really are an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post had me in tears. Rest assured your father would have been proud to have raised such a strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A totally inspiring story! Keep breathing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sad and inspiring post - and your daughter really does look like the perfect reason to live...and breathe x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie Davis (Nana J)1 April 2010 at 17:21

    You are so right, just keep on breathing, the days beging to get brighter - you will notice the sun shinning more, now and then the clouds will appear, but this is ok! the time for good memories, and maybe a few tears. The joy your little one will give you, will make you strong and begin to live more in the now. Thank you for sharing your story

    ReplyDelete