"At the beginning of 2010 I came across my diary from last year. I had a quick flick through and was hit with the realisation of exactly how much my life has changed since January ’09. My diary is littered with words like ‘Golden Globes’, ‘Baftas’, ‘Brits’ and ‘The Oscars’ – all of which my working life revolved around...

Fast forward a year and my January is barren. The pages are a wasteland of days and dates and woefully empty pages. My poor, poor moleskin must have been sobbing into its perfectly intact spine at such a pitiful sight..."

Monday 15 March 2010

Just Horsing Around in San Diego

HEATHER JEAN RIDGEWAY SAYS:

My diary entry for a year ago today says "Bunter Club" and "Zydeco". In an attempt to lose copious amounts of blubber and be cruise-ready, my friend and I started a diet club - usual rules, eat 1200 calories, drink water, e-mail stunning weight loss every morning to envious friend, blah blah blah... Part of the plan was to learn to dance so we dragged our nervous husbands to the Bon Temps Cajun and Zydeco club.
The building itself scared me because in an unguarded moment a few years before I had joined a Morris Dancing Club which met there on summer evenings. It is situated near to the elephant enclosure at our zoo and with the wind in the right direction on a boiling hot night, the hint of pachyderm is overwhelming. Being the newest member, I was a bit of a liability at my first "gig" hardly knowing one bell from another, so they dressed me in a horse costume, held up by thick braces. As my hands were on the reins and not clutching a stick, I was more or less safe to prance about a bit without knowing the dance steps.
The venue was a tourist trap next to the world's oldest seafaring ship and my husband decided to stop by during his Saturday morning bike ride. He was mortified to find his wife dressed as a horse and hanging around the docks, surrounded by puzzled Japanese tourists. He got the hell out and still has trouble talking about it, so to return to the scene of the crime for the Zydeco lessons was pushing it a bit.
The whole thing turned out to be a grope-a-granny night and the "lesson" consisted of "right-left right left-rock step" which we picked up as soon as our eyes adjusted to the gloom. The good thing was, there was cake! And we got free sparkly necklaces so all was not lost.
Did we lose weight? No! Did we dance on the cruise? No again.
The good thing is that my diary entry for today is "clean fridge". When I look back in a year it will be far less traumatic to recall than the whole horse/docks saga.

No comments:

Post a Comment